To the Editor:
The Illinois State Bar Association applauds the Illinois General Assembly's action to end the death penalty in Illinois.
Our organization voted to support abolition three years ago because the application of the death penalty in Illinois has been demonstrated to be flawed. There can be no margin for error when imposing the death penalty.
We strongly urge Governor Quinn to sign the abolition bill into law.
Mark D. Hassakis
President, Illinois State Bar Association
- Renewable energy advocates continue push for Clean Jobs Bill; Big provider wants low-emission nuclear in discussion
- Hylla upheld by appellate court reviewing auto accident trial; Plaintiffs wanted new trial on damages and loss of consortium
- Rauner tries to crank up the pressure; Democrats say he’s peddling old material
- Family Violence Councils in Madison, St. Clair counties work to stop domestic violence
- McCarter announces bid for Congress; Will take on Shimkus in GOP primary
- Let’s let Boys ... become Men
- Madison County asbestos jury docket Oct. 14
- Five things to know about Illinois’ sustainable municipal pension fund
- Hale attorneys must produce communications back to '05; State Farm seeks info for statute of limitations argument
- I-LAW's true motive: Profits before people