A Madison County woman names three individuals as defendants in a suit she filed after falling in a hole in a Wal-Mart parking lot.
Judy and Thomas J. Davis filed a lawsuit Dec. 8 in Madison County Circuit Court against Vicki Rehlen, Janelle McCoy and Arno Sponeman.
The Davises claim Judy Davis visited the Glen Carbon Wal-Mart on July 15 when she stepped into a hole as she attempted to load bags into her automobile.
Because of the incident, Judy Davis experienced permanent injuries to her lower extremities and suffered extreme pain and mental anguish, according to the complaint. She also suffered disability and an impaired earning capacity and incurred medical costs, the suit states.
Her husband lost his wife's support and services, the complaint says.
The defendants the Davises name in their suit bore the responsibility of inspecting, maintaining and reporting or repairing dangerous conditions at Walmart's parking lot, the complaint says.
However, the defendants failed in their duties by negligently allowing a hole to develop, by failing to properly inspect the parking lot, by failing to properly train employees, by failing to maintain the parking lot and by failing to barricade the hole in the parking lot's surface, the plaintiffs claim. In addition, the defendants negligently failed to warn of the hole, allowed the foundation for the hole to grow and failed to report unsafe conditions to others, according to the complaint.
In their two-count complaint, the Davises seek a judgment of more than $100,000, plus costs.
Brian M. Wendler of Wendler Law in Edwardsville will be representing him.
Madison County Circuit Court case number: 10-L-1251.
- Father says medical center, doctor failed to aid his abused daughter
- Estate administrator seeks compensation from health care providers
- Car passenger blames driver, Kilian Corp. for accident that caused injuries
- St. Clair County woman blames Golden State Foods for injuries at McDonald's
- Patient claims misdiagnosed infection led to amputation
- Parents blame driver for injuries daughter suffered in accident
- Five auto passengers seek damages from motorist who allegedly drove into their vehicle
- Wigginton plans to step down next month, will move into private practice in St. Louis
- Couple blames motorist for causing head-on vehicle collision
- Motorist blames another driver for chain-reaction accident