Woman claims she was burned during childhood surgery
A woman blames her third degree burns on the negligence of doctors at Children's Hospital before a surgery.
Veronica Sasenbury filed a lawsuit Jan. 8 in St. Clair County Circuit Court against Barnes Jewish Hospital doing business as Children's Hospital.
Sasenbury claims she became a patient at Children's Hospital on March 25, 2002, for surgery to treat her hyperparathyroidism. At the time of the surgery, Sasenbury was 12 years old.
During the surgery, Sasenbury received third-degree burns to her back, according to the complaint.
She got the burns after doctors negligently allowed heat or a hot object to come into contact with her back during the surgery and after they failed to properly supervise her preparation for the surgery, the suit states. In addition, a doctor at the hospital failed to guide his assistants in the proper placement of surgical devices to avoid burning Sasenbury, the complaint says.
Because of her burns, Sasenbury claims she has been forced to endure additional surgeries; has suffered disfigurement and disability; has incurred medical costs; and has experienced pain and suffering.
Sasenbury seeks a judgment of more than $50,000, plus costs.
James R. Williams of Williams, Caponi, Foley and Eckert will be representing her.
St. Clair County Circuit Court case number: 10-L-6.