Belleville woman claims neighbor's home explosion caused injuries to her foot
A Belleville woman claims her neighbor allowed natural gas to seep into his home, causing it to explode and injure her foot in her home.
Sharon Gottschall filed a lawsuit Oct. 21 in St. Clair County Circuit Court against Gary Smith.
Gottschall, who lives at 3 Wedge Wood Dr., claims Smith intentionally released natural gas into his home, causing it to explode on May 2, 2008.
During Smith's home's explosion, Gottschall's home was damaged with debris and she received injuries to her foot, according to the complaint.
Because of the explosion, Gottschall was made sick, sore, lame, disordered and disabled; received injuries to the soft tissues of her cervical, shoulder and lumbar areas; and incurred medical costs, the suit states. In addition, she suffered disability and experienced pain and suffering, the complaint says.
Gottschall blames Smith for opening gas valves, causing an explosion and failing to warn the neighborhood of the dangerous situation.
Gottschall is seeking a judgment of more than $50,000, plus costs.
James R. Williams of Williams, Caponi, Foley and Eckert in Belleville will be representing her.
St. Clair County Circuit Court case number: 09-L-563.