Bathrobe manufacturer sued by woman who caught on fire

Kelly Holleran Oct. 1, 2009, 12:35pm

An Illinois woman has filed suit against the manufacturer of a robe she owned, alleging she was severely burned after the robe caught on fire as she passed near a burning candle.

Agnes Wise filed a lawsuit Sept. 16 in St. Clair County Circuit Court against Blair and Blair Corporation.

Wise claims she purchased a Blair full-length chenille robe in June of 2008, and was wearing it on Dec. 18, 2008, when the sleeve came in close proximity to a burning candle.

"At the above described time and location, the robe caught fire severely burning AGNES WISE," the suit states.

According to the complaint, Wise experienced physical and emotional pain and suffering, disability, loss of a normal life, disfigurement and lost wages, incurred medical expenses and is at an increased risk of future injuries.

She blames Blair for designing the robe in such a way that it had an unreasonably high propensity to combust, for designing it without flame retardant material and for designing it without flame retardant qualities.

In the four-count suit, Wise is seeking a judgment of more than $200,000, plus costs.

J. Michael Weilmuenster and J. Brian Manion of Weilmuenster and Wigginton in Belleville will be representing her.

St. Clair County Circuit Court case number: 09-L-490.

More News