Bonfire in Pontoon Beach caused husband's death, suit claims

Kelly Holleran Apr. 27, 2009, 1:35pm

The wife of a deceased man has filed suit against a Pontoon Beach man, alleging her husband died after a fire broke out at his house.

Bobbie Dexheimer says her husband, David Dexheimer, was visiting Jacob Atchley at his home located at 3964 Lake St. on Nov. 2 when Atchley started a bonfire close to his home.

The fire caused David Dexheimer's death, according to the complaint filed April 22 in Madison County Circuit Court.

Before his death, David Dexheimer suffered conscious pain, emotional distress and smoke inhalation, the suit states.

Because of David Dexheimer's death, his next of kin have suffered sorrow, grief and mental suffering, plus a loss of his society, his companionship and his support, the suit states.

In addition, Bobbie Dexheimer says she incurred medical, funeral and burial costs.

Atchley negligently failed to warn Dexheimer of the fire, failed to comply with codes and allowed guests to enter his home in an unsafe condition, the suit states.

In the four-count suit, Bobbie Dexheimer is seeking a judgment in excess of $200,000, plus costs.

She is represented by George H. Albers of Roth Evans in Granite City.

Madison County Circuit Court case number: 09-L-417.

More News