A Kansas woman has filed an asbestos suit on behalf of her recently deceased father against 106 defendant corporations, claiming the mesothelioma with which he was diagnosed was wrongfully caused.
Dana Jordan claims Donald Jordan was diagnosed with the disease Jan. 6 and died Jan. 15, according to a lawsuit filed Sept. 26 in Madison County Circuit Court.
Dana says her father worked from 1951 until 1991 as a laborer and pipefitter at various locations, according to the lawsuit.
Dana states Donald's exposure was foreseeable and should have been anticipated by the defendants, according to the lawsuit.
She claims his disease was caused after he was exposed to and inhaled, ingested or otherwise absorbed asbestos fibers.
Dana alleges the asbestos-related disease caused the family to incur substantial medical costs. Donald also experienced great physical pain and mental anguish as a result of the disease, Dana claims in the lawsuit.
Mesothelioma hindered and prevented Donald from pursuing his normal course of employment, according to the suit.
As a result, he lost large sums of money, Dana claims.
Because of Donald's death, his family has been deprived of his support and has lost his society, the suit states.
His family spent substantial amounts on funeral and burial costs, according to the complaint.
In the 14-count lawsuit, Dana seeks sums in excess of $450,000 and compensatory damages in excess of $250,000.
She also seeks punitive damages in an amount sufficient to punish the defendants for their misconduct and to deter similarly situated parties from committing like acts of misconduct in the future.
She is represented by Nicholas J. Angelides and Melissa C. Schopfer of SimmonsCooper LLC in East Alton.
Madison County Circuit Court case number: 08-L-875.