Mesothelioma caused husband's death, suit claims
An Illinois woman has filed an asbestos suit on behalf of her deceased husband against 73 defendant corporations, claiming the mesothelioma with which he was diagnosed was wrongfully caused.
Yvonne Nannini claims William Nannini was diagnosed with the disease July 16 and passed away Aug. 10, according to a lawsuit filed Aug. 29 in Madison County Circuit Court.
Nannini says her husband worked from 1952 until 2004 as a laborer and barber at various locations throughout Illinois, according to the lawsuit.
Nannini states her husband's exposure was foreseeable and should have been anticipated by the defendants, according to the lawsuit.
She claims his disease was caused after he was exposed to and inhaled, ingested or otherwise absorbed asbestos fibers.
Nannini alleges the asbestos-related disease caused her husband to spend large amounts on medical bills. He also experienced great physical pain and mental anguish as a result of the disease, she claims in the lawsuit.
Mesothelioma hindered and prevented Nannini from pursuing his normal course of employment, according to the suit.
As a result, he lost large sums of money, she claims.
William Nannini's family has been deprived of his means of support and has lost his society, the lawsuit states.
Nannini also claims large amounts of money were spent on funeral and burial costs.
In the 14-count lawsuit, Nannini seeks sums in excess of $450,000 and compensatory damages in excess of $250,000 and for damages that will fairly and reasonably compensate for William Nannini's injuries.
She also seeks punitive damages in an amount sufficient to punish the defendants and Cooper Industries, Inc., for its misconduct and to deter similarly situated parties from committing like acts of misconduct in the future.
Nannini is represented by Nicholasa J. Angelides of SimmonsCooper LLC in East Alton.