Madison man sues over house fire

Steve Gonzalez Jul. 28, 2008, 8:54am

Leroy Latham has filed suit against Yvett Osuegbu, alleging his house and personal properly were destroyed in a fire.

Latham said his home at 1635 Third Street in Madison was destroyed on March 28, after a vacant house in the process of being rehabbed caught fire and spread.

Latham claims Osuegbu owned the home at 1633 Third Street at the time the fire started. The lawsuit was filed in Madison County Circuit Court on July 24.

Osuegbu was negligent by allowing flammable materials to be present in the vacant house near an ignition source and failed to use or maintain working fire alarms in the vacant house, Latham charges.

Latham also claims Osuegbu used faulty electrical equipment, which Osuegbu knew or should have known would likely cause a fire at her residence and spread to his.

Latham said the fire caused his house, valued at $50,000, to be completely destroyed along with his personal property which was valued at $65,000.

He is seeking a judgment of $115,000, plus costs. He is represented by Scott Bjorseth and David Schott of Alton.

The case has been assigned to Circuit Judge Barbara Crowder.

08 L 663

More News