The widow of a laborer claiming her spouse died from a disease caused by benzene exposure has filed suit against 28 corporations in Madison County Circuit Court.
Violet Kavich's suit filed March 20 claims her husband Joseph Kavich was diagnosed with myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) on or about Aug. 22, 2006, and he died on July 5, 2007.
The 14-count suit seeking in excess of $700,000 in damages names Air Products and Chemicals, AmerenUE, B.F. Goodrich, BP Corp., BP Products North America, C.F. Braun & Co., Citgo Petroleum, ConocoPhillips, E.I. DuPont De Nemours, Equistart Chemicals, Exxon Mobil, Flint Hills Resources, The Fluor Corp., Foster Wheeler Corp., Illinois Power Co., Mobil Corp., Morrison Construction Co., M.W. Kellogg Co., Parsons Corp., Phillips Chemical Co., Radiator Specialty Co., Shell Chemical Co., Shell Oil, Turtle Wax, United States Steel and 3M.
Joseph Kavich worked as a pipefitter, boiler maker and plumber at numerous defendant locations in Illinois, Montana, North Dakota, Wyoming and Texas.
Represented by Richard L. Saville, Jr., Robert J. Evola and Ethan A. Flint of Saville, Evola & Flint in Alton, Kavich claims he was exposed to and inhaled, ingested or otherwise absorbed benzene fumes he worked with and around, all of which were processed, produced, manufactured, sold, distributed, marketed and/or otherwise used by the defendants.
Violet Kavich claims that prior to his death her husband was compelled to expend and become liable for large sums of monies for hosptial, medical and other health care services.
She claims she has been deprived of his means of support and has lost the society of her husband. She also claims funeral and burial expenses.
"The Defendants knew or should have known that the benzene contained in their benzene, materials, and/or products had a toxic, poisonous, and highly deleterious effect upon the health of persons inhaling, ingesting or otherwise absorbing it," the complaint states.