Bah humbug? Guest sues Maryville couple for tripping on cord used in Christmas display

Steve Gonzalez Dec. 4, 2007, 9:49am

Matthew Donithan filed suit against a Maryville couple for tripping over a power cord they used to light an outdoor Christmas display.

Donithan, who was an invited guest of William and Marlenia Bolin, claims the cord he tripped over in a walkway was in no way open and obvious to him, according to the suit filed in Madison County Circuit Court.

According to Donithan, he sustained permanent injuries to his neck, head and back on Dec. 7, 2005, which caused physical pain and mental anguish, medical expenses and lost wages.

Donithan claims the Bolins failed to exercise reasonable care to keep their property in a safe condition and free from tripping hazards, failed to warn of the presence of cords on the property and failed to cover or secure the cords where he fell.

Represented by Michael Glisson of Alton, Donithan is seeking damages in excess of $100,000, plus costs of the suit.

The case has been assigned to Circuit Judge Nicholas Byron.

07 L 1010

More News