IHOP manager sues for improperly installed grill

Ann Knef May 9, 2007, 5:00am

A Belleville IHOP manager claims he sustained permanent injuries to his hands, wrists and arms due to a severe electrical shock when using the restaurant's grill on Sept. 12, 2005.

Jerry L. Atwood filed a personal injury suit May 8 in St. Clair County Circuit Court against equipment contractor Ecolab Inc. and its subsidiary GCS Service, Inc.

Seeking in excess of $100,000 in damages, Atwood claims the defendants were negligent for improperly installing the grill at the restaurant located at 601 Carlyle Ave.

He claims grease seeped under the grill causing elements to burn and a fire to start.

Atwood also claims the contractor did not place electricla wires in the conduit and failed to ground wires. The suit claims connections were taped rather than placed in an electrical box with covers.

Represented by William E. Miller III of Alton, Atwood claims he has incurred medical expenses and had been prevented from attending to his usual duties and affairs.

More News