Maryville Subway customer sustains violent viral reaction

Steve Gonzalez Jan. 22, 2007, 7:21am

Maryville Subway

A woman who got sick after eating at the Maryville Subway filed a personal injury suit against the restaurant in Madison County Circuit Court Jan. 19, seeking damages in excess of $100,000.

Shawn Miller claims she ate at the Maryville Subway store on Feb. 25, 2005, and sustained a reaction after eating the food.

Miller claims Subway failed to ensure the food was sold in a sanitary and uncontaminated state, failed to have the food of adequate and merchantable quality, failed to utilize proper sanitary conditions and allowed employees contaminated with "Norwalk" virus to cook and handle the food.

Norwalk virus was first identified in 1972 after an outbreak of gastrointestinal illness in Norwalk, Ohio.

Later, other viruses with similar features were described and called Norwalk-like viruses. These have since been classified as members of the calicivirus family.

The viruses are passed in the stool of infected persons and people get infected by swallowing stool-contaminated food or water.

Miller claims she became "violently ill" and had symptoms that included headache, nausea, dehydration, fever, stomach cramps, vomiting and diarrhea.

She claims she sustained great pain and mental anguish, lost wages and became liable for medical expenses.

Miller is represented by William Wimmer of Belleville.

The case has been assigned to Circuit Judge Andy Matoesian.

07 L 59

More News