A woman says she was injured as she shopped at a Collinsville location of Shop 'N Save when she slipped on an unknown substance on the floor.
Deborah Pratt filed a lawsuit Aug. 19 in the Madison Circuit Court against Supervalu Inc., Shop 'N Save Warehouse Foods Inc. and Shop 'N Save, alleging negligence.
According to the complaint, on Aug. 24, 2012, Pratt was shopping in the frozen foods aisle of the defendant's store when she slipped and fell after stepping onto a slippery foreign substance or detergent on the floor.
According to the suit, the store manager apologized at the time of the incident and told the plaintiff employees had been trying to clean up the area all morning.
The lawsuit alleges the defendants were negligent, through their employees' actions, in failing to clean up the slippery substance within a timely manner, failing to properly maintain aisles and walkways and failure to warn the plaintiff and other patrons of the dangerous conditions.
As a result of that negligence, Pratt fell to the floor in a violent manner and sustained injury to her knees, back and other areas of her body. She has suffered pain and has spent sums of money to treat her injuries, leading to disability and loss of a normal life.
The plaintiff seeks a judgment of $75,000. She is represented by attorney Michael P. Glisson of Williamson, Webster, Falb and Glisson in Alton.
Madison County Circuit Court case 14-L-1129.