A man says he was shocked by an unseen electrical wire hidden on premises where he was working.
Courtney Burrell filed a lawsuit Sept. 11 in Madison County Circuit Court against Ameren, Inc. and Norma Jellen.
Burrell claims he was driving a Bobcat on Sept. 14, 2007, to clear debris from a demolished garage located at 2019 Beckwith in Madison. Jellen owned the property where Burrell was working and Ameren owned the electrical wires at her property.
Suddenly, Burrell suffered a severe electrical injury after he came into contact with a hidden electrical wire on the premises, according to the complaint.
Because of the incident, Burrell suffered injuries to his back, neck, shoulder and arm, incurred disability and a loss of life, experienced pain and suffering and incurred medical expenses and lost wages, the suit states.
He blames Jellen and Ameren for failing to warn of a dangerous condition on the property, for failing to repair a dangerous condition, for allowing him to work in such a dangerous area, for failing to keep a proper lookout and for failing to warn him of the dangerous condition.
In the two-count suit, Burrell is seeking a judgment of more than $100,000, plus costs.
Mark S. Peebles of Peebles and Gaines in Belleville will be representing him.
Madison County Circuit Court case number: 09-L-966.